PLANNING INNOVATIVE ENERGY POLICIES
Roadmaps for Energy (R4E) is an EU funded project under the Horizon 2020 programme that aims to develop a new type of energy strategy through visions and roadmaps for the 8 partner cities, in co-creation with relevant local stakeholders. The project focuses on three areas within the domain of sustainable energy that are closely linked to the municipalities main responsibilities:
Below you can find 3 videos with an introduction about the basisc of the project, the explanation of the work methodology used and the starting point to create the roadmaps for every focus area: smart buidlings, smart mobility and smart urban spaces.
- Scope of the roadmaps
As already mentioned, the project will focuse its activity on 3 specific fields, smart buildings, smart mobility and smart urban spaces. For each of the three themes, we will create roadmaps that cover different elements of sustainability that need to go hand in hand to achieve the desired future scenarios:I. Sustainable technologies II. Sustainable behaviour III. Sustainable organizationThe roadmaps will plot on a timeline the different steps that are needed and possible to achieve the desired scenario in 2050. This will help the cities in the decision making process and it will allow them to foreseen resources and use them efficiently.
- How can we reach to the expected roadmaps?
- In the R4E project a four step process is applied.
The FIRST step sets the ambitions for the project. The ambitions of the participating cities on sustainable energy and Smart Cities in general are set, as well as the partner cities' choice for 2 focus areas within Smart Energy Savings: 1.Smart Buildings, 2. Smart Mobility or 3. Smart Urban Spaces.
The SECOND step is to develop desired scenarios for the cities for the selected focus areas.
During the THIRD step, the roadmap will be created, existing and future technologies and other developments will be identified, which enable the realization of the desired future scenarios. Opportunities and developments will be plotted on a timeline to provide insight in the required steps and milestones towards the favoured scenarios.
During the final and FOURTH step a project portfolio will be generated with new projects and initiatives to reach the ambitions, visions and roadmaps of the cities. This portfolio provides an overview of individual and joint projects and includes a cross-city learning plan and a financial plan.
At the end of the project each partner city will each have:
- 2 expected future scenarios
- 2 roadmaps
- 1 portfolio of individual and joint projects to implement sustainable energy policies and measures.
- Learning Community Activities and cross-city learning
- As a powerful tool to get the goals of the project, it is forseen to organise Learning Community Activities and crosscity learning. The expectation is that the new projects will have to explore many new roads stating cross-learning objectives, to grow in higher pace as a learning community.
- R4E project target groups
- Public sector decision and policy makers at local, regional, national and European level
- Universities and research centers involved in activities related to Energy related topics, and more specific to the three focus areas of R4E
- Other relevant networks, projects, companies and organizations involved in Energy related topics, and more specific to the three focus areas of R4E
- Local stakeholders relevant to local energy policies (citizens, public and private organizations and knowledge institutes)
- Who's behind?
- The R4E consortium consists of 10 partners, 8 cities and 2 knowledge partners, from six countries: the Netherlands, Italy, Turkey, United Kingdom, Spain and Estonia. The Project coordinator is the city of Eindhoven (NL), while Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), more specically the TU/e LightHouse, experienced in developing Visions & Roadmaps for municipalities, has a major role in the process of R4E, supporting and guiding each partner city through the entire process.
- What about saving energy?
The R4E project focuses on developing the instrumentation and the skills and capacities for local authorities to make more realistic and better implementable strategies and action plans built upon a more in-depth knowledge of the state of technology today.
The immediate energy savings within the lifetime of the project are not significant. The partners do not expect to carry out, within the lifetime of the project, important energy related investments that are due to the new insights that the project delivers. However, the project will deliver all the tools for significant savings in energy consumption starting towards the end of the project.
Starting in year 4 after the start of the project, the average annual reduction in energy consumption in the partner cities is estimated at 3-4 % on top of current estimated figures.
Smart urban spaces
ALL THE GRAPHIC MATERIAL YOU NEED
Public publications of the R4E project
FUTURE TELLING 2050- R4E PROJECT
AMBITION SETTING REPORT –R4E PROJECT
AMBITION SETTING –ANNEX OF CITIES
VISION DEVELOPMENT APPENDICES - R4E PROJECT
VISION DEVELOPMENT REPORT - R4E PROJECT
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART URBAN SPACES EINDHOVEN
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART URBAN SPACES EINDHOVEN
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS FORLÌ
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART URBAN SPACES FORLÌ
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART PUBLIC TRANSPORT ISTANBUL
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT ISTANBUL
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS MURCIA
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART MOBILITY MURCIA
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS NEWCASTLE
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS PALERMO
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART MOBILITY PALERMO
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS SANT CUGAT
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART URBAN SPACES SANT CUGAT
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART BUILDINGS TALLINN
AMBITION, VISION & ROADMAP SMART MOBILITY TALLINN
WHO’S BEHIND THE R4E PROJECT?
GEMEENTE EINDHOVEN (The Netherlands)
COMUNE DI FORLI (Italy)
ISTANBUL METROPOLITAN MUNICIPALITY (Turkey)
NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL (United Kingdom)
AYUNTAMIENTO DE MURCIA (Spain)
TALLINNA KESKKONNAAMET (Estonia)
COMUNE DI PALERMO (Italy)
AJUNTAMENT DE SANT CUGAT DEL VALLÈS (Spain)
TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT EINDHOVEN (The Netherlands)
UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA UPC (Spain)
REGISTER FOR OUR PRIVATE AREA AND ENJOY THE FOLLOWING ADVANTAGES:
– Get access to specific information about the three focus areas of R4E.
– Upload information to make your products, equipment, or related projects known to the R4E project partners.
– Get in contact with other experts and stakeholders of R4E from all over Europe.
– Provide your contact details to enable your networking activities.