First Autonomous Vehicle project of IETT will be introduced at Smart City Expo in Istanbul
IETT, which produced Turkey’s first trolleybus called “Tosun” in the past and which is the leading organization of public transport in Istanbul, implemented an innovative vehicle project with a cutting-edge technology in cooperation with the universities and local entrepreneurs. Autonomous Vehicle Project was completed in order to show our country’s human resources, know-how and production capacity that shapes the future technology. A new vehicle was developed within the scope of the project that aimed to raise awareness on self-driving vehicle technologies and provide an inspiring example for future endeavors in this field. It is a 100% self-driving electric vehicle with a range, which is expandable depending on the battery capacity.
IETT established close cooperation with the universities and the expert companies in this field for producing this vehicle, which has a unique design that reflects IETT’s historical background. Electric driven technology is used for entire hardware of the vehicle including the main drive, direction control and hydraulic system control while products like independent radar, lidar and GPS systems are also used. All in all, this autonomous vehicle project is just a start for both IETT and Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM). New generation vehicles like autonomous and electricity cars will transform transportation. This project of IETT is in line with the objectives of the municipality’s both R4E Project Vision and ongoing projects.
With this project IETT aims the following:
- Ensuring that IETT acquires the cutting-edge technology and knowledge accumulation in this field with the autonomous vehicle project,
- Increasing both national and institutional know-how together with the technological advances,
- Ensuring that IETT becomes a pioneering organization in the field of technology,
- Increasing the possibilities of cooperation by bringing public institutions, universities, local manufacturers and entrepreneurs working in this field together,
- Supporting the exchange of information and experience,
- Developing human resources of our country,
- Developing an innovative and cutting-edge product,
- Showing that our country’s human resources, knowledge accumulation and production capacity can shape the future of technology,
- Raising awareness on self-driving vehicle technologies and providing an inspiring example for future endeavors in this field, and
- Maximizing the use of national resources.